Friday, March 23, 2012

Grain-Free Chocolate Cake



Winter term is over. I survived finals week and submitted all my projects. Time to celebrate with CAKE!

Over the last few months I have played around with several grain-free cake recipes but all of them were incredibly dry and left much to be desired. When I came across a recipe for a conventional cake with sour cream in it, it hit me..... add homemade yogurt (since I can't handle the lactose in sour cream) to help keep the grain-free cake moist.

Wow! Not only does the yogurt help keep the cake moist, but the flavor is just amazing! My first attempt was to make a chocolate cake. I'm sure it would be great in a white cake as well.





Berry-Topped Grain-Free Chocolate Cake



Ingredients:

Cake
1 3/4 cup almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup butter, softened
2 cups plain, unsweetened yogurt
1 cup honey
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Berry topping
24 oz berries (I used blackberries because the store was out of fresh raspberries)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup honey

Directions:

Set out your eggs and yogurt for about an hour so they get closer to room temp. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Blend in the honey then add in the yogurt, eggs, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. Mix in the dry ingredients and blend at medium speed for 3 minutes.

Poor batter into 2 parchment lined and greased 9 inch cake pans. Bake for approximately 30 minutes at 350 F. Remove when cake springs back when lightly touched and tooth pick comes out with only a few moist crumbs. Take care when removing from pans as they do not hold together quite as well as a conventional cake.

While cake is baking, bring berries, water and honey to a bowl over medium heat and then turn down to low heat and simmer until desired thickness is reached (approximately 15-20 minutes). Mash berries and cool.

Once cakes are cool, and right before serving, top cake with berries. 


I'll let you know once I have a white cake recipe worked out.

Thanks for stopping by!

Allison




8 comments:

  1. My goodness... that looks AMAZING! I can't wait to see the other version

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks tasty! Berries and chocolate are meant to go together , and I love that you made a sweet dessert healthier:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! I want to lick my screen! It looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello

    Good Day,interesting post keep the good work.i'll be back for more

    -Kathy
    www.healthandwellnessconsultants.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. The color is so vibrant...Can't wait to get my first bite of this delicious treat! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THis looks so gooey and rich, I cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so delicious! Fabulous. Making it for Memorial Day Party...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely a great way to enjoy chocolates and berry! Can't wait to try it out.

    ReplyDelete