Friday, February 3, 2012

Homemade BBQ Sauce


After days and days of gray clouds and rain, the sun decided to break through and shine down on us. I don't know about you all, but the type of food I am in the mood for often depends on the weather. Well, those sunbeams got Matt and I craving some good ol' BBQ sauce to go with the chicken thawing in the fridge.

Mission for the afternoon: Sugar-free BBQ sauce!

I browsed barbecue sauce recipes online to get a feel for the basic ingredients and then modified them to fit within my dietary restrictions. It took a bit of adjusting as I went along but the end I had something sweet yet tangy, spicy, and gooey.... everything a good barbeque sauce should be.

I use my husband as my official taste tester and I knew this sauce was ready when he said "Its terrible!" as he grinned and went in for a second bite.


 Ingredients
 
             1 Tbsp oil
             1 small onion, diced
             2 cloves garlic, minced
             6 oz can tomato paste
             1/2 cup honey
             2 Tbsp vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar)
             2 Tbsp mustard powder
             pinch of ground cloves
             Chipotle powder to taste
             1 cup water

Directions

Heat oil in pan over medium heat and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat 10-20 minutes or until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper if needed. Remove from heat and cool for a few minutes before transferring sauce to a food processor. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.

This recipe produced a little over 2 cups of sauce which would be plenty for 4 to 6 people. Play around with the seasonings and adjust it for your personal preference. You could add in a bit of Worcestershire sauce too. Also, the type of honey you use will influence the flavor. I recommend clover honey because the underlying flavors are pretty mild.

I look forward to using this recipe this summer. Our oven-cooked chicken tasted great with the sauce but I know it would be even better from the grill.

4 comments:

  1. I want to try some! Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made this with Chipotle peppers in that preserving sauce (which I forget the name for) and it was divine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad it turned out so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like what you guys are up too. This type of
    clever work and exposure! Keep up the superb works guys
    I've incorporated you guys to blogroll.

    Review my blog ... Flappy Bird Cheat

    ReplyDelete